Central to the religious life of the school is the person of Jesus Christ who came among us ‘as one who serves’ (Luke 22.27). Our Catholic school is committed to reaching out to help those in need, through charitable outreach initiatives. All outreach activities connect to the person of Jesus Christ and to the sacraments, especially the Eucharist. Drawing on the Catholic Social Teaching of the Church, we have a deep commitment to supporting a range of charitable organisations, families and individuals in need.
At St Michael’s Catholic Primary School Lane Cove we see our Mercy charism in action through our outreach programs. St Michael’s staff and students have the opportunity to reach out to those in need through their involvement in the following programs:
- Visiting the residents of Kamilaroi Retirement Village
- Feeding the homeless (St Patrick’s Church at The Rocks and the Brekky Van)
- St Vincent de Paul winter food and clothing drive along with the provision of Christmas hampers
- Project Compassion fundraising
- House of Welcome (gathering provisions for refugee families).